Red wine vinegar is a versatile condiment that can be used in a variety of dishes, from salad dressings to marinades. It is easy to make at home and only requires a few simple ingredients. Here is a basic recipe for making red wine vinegar:
- 1 quart red wine
- 2 tbsp vinegar mother (available at specialty stores or online)
- Pour the red wine into a sterilized glass jar or carboy.
- Add the vinegar mother to the jar, then cover the jar with a cloth or cheesecloth and secure it with a rubber band.
- Place the jar in a warm, dark place and allow it to ferment for 6-12 months, depending on the desired strength of the vinegar.
- Check the vinegar periodically and skim off any sediment that may have formed on the surface.
- When the vinegar has reached the desired strength, strain it through a cheesecloth or coffee filter to remove any remaining solids.
- Transfer the vinegar to sterilized bottles or jars and store in a cool, dark place. The vinegar will continue to age and develop flavor over time.
Keep in mind that the fermentation process can produce a strong alcohol smell and may produce some foam or bubbles. This is normal and will subside as the fermentation progresses.